Online PAN Application
Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a ten-digit alphanumeric number, issued in the form of a laminated card, by the Income Tax Department, to any ˜person˜ who applies for it or to whom the department allots the number without an application.
PAN enables the department to link all transactions of the ˜person˜ with the department. These transactions include tax payments, TDS/TCS credits, returns of income/wealth/gift/FBT, specified transactions, correspondence, and so on. PAN, thus, acts as an identifier for the ˜person˜ with the tax department.
Application for allotment of PAN: - Below mentioned application form should be used when the applicant has never applied for a PAN or does not have PAN allotted to him. Applicant may visit ITD's website www.incometaxindia.gov.in to find whether a PAN has been allotted to him or not.
Following forms have been notified by ITD (w. e. f. November 1, 2011) for submitting applications for allotment of new PAN:
FORM 49A: - To be filled by Indian citizens including those who are located outside India.
FORM 49AA: - To be filled by foreign citizens.
- STEP 1: Select the category of person for whom PAN is to be obtained and click on next. (Please read the guidelines carefully before filling the form).
- STEP 2: Fill the form. All fields marked with '*' are mandatory
- STEP 3: Please ensure that the details provided in the form by you are correct before you proceed to make payment.
- STEP 4: On making payment Form 49A duly filled shall appear on the screen. Payment receipt and this Form 49A duly filled shall be mailed to you on the email ID as provided by you in the form.
- STEP 5: Save and take out a back to back
print of this Form 49A.
- STEP 6: Affix 2 photographs of the specific size (with light and plain background) on the Form.
- STEP 7: This Form duly signed and all supporting documents properly attached should be sent to the following address:-
Moon Soft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.,
22, Shripal Nagar,
Saket Ashram Road,
Sumerpur - 306902
Tel No.: +91 9602456765
- Super scribe the envelope with 'APPLICATION FOR PAN'
- Your application and identity and address proofs, should reach Moon Soft Technologies Pvt. Ltd. within 15 days from the date of online application.
- Your PAN Application shall be processed only after receipt of the above documents and receipt of NSDL for PAN Application submission shall be forwarded to your email.
- For any assistance or help you can mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If there is no discrepancy in your Form 49A and all documents are correct, your PAN CARD shall reach the address mentioned in the form. You may track the status of your application at https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/tan/servlet/PanStatusTrack
- The fees for processing PAN Application is Rs. 170 (including NSDL charge of Rs. 105 and our service charge as applicable)
Guidelines for PAN Application:
- Fill the application in block letters in English and with black ink.
- Do not overwrite or make corrections in the application.
- Fill Form 49A
- Do not use initials in first and last name field.
- Do not mention Husband's name in the Father's Name column.
- 'Individual' applicants should affix two recent colour photographs with white background in the space provided on the form. The photographs should not be stapled or clipped to the form. The clarity of image on PAN card will depend on the quality and clarity of photograph affixed on the form.
- Please note that name in proof of identity and proof of address should exactly match with the name in application. Do not provide POI and POA which are not in the name of the applicant.
- Signature / Left hand thumb impression should be provided across the photo affixed on the left side of the form in such a manner that portion of signature/impression is on photo as well as on form.
- Signature /Left hand thumb impression should be within the box provided on the right side of the form. The signature should not be on the photograph affixed on right side of the form. If there is any mark on this photograph such that it hinders the clear visibility of the face of the applicant, the application will not be accepted.
- Thumb impression, if used, should be attested by a Magistrate or a Notary Public or a Gazetted Officer under official seal and stamp.
- Do not write any additional details (date, designation, rank, etc.) along with the signature in the box.
- For issue of new PAN card without any changes- In case you have a PAN but no PAN card and wish to get a PAN card, fill all column of the form but do not tick any of the boxes on the left margin. In case of loss of PAN card, a copy of FIR may be submitted along with the form.
- Do not apply for a new PAN if you already have one.
- What is PAN ?
Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a ten-digit alphanumeric identifier, issued by Income Tax Department. Each assessee (e.g. individual, firm, company etc.) is issued a unique PAN.
- Who can apply for PAN ?
All existing assessees or taxpayers or persons who are required to file a return of income, even on behalf of others, must have a PAN. Any person, who intends to enter into economic or financial transactions where quoting PAN is mandatory, must also have a PAN.
- Who can apply on behalf of minor, lunatic, idiot, mentally retarded, deceased and wards of court?
Section 160 of IT Act, 1961 provides that a minor, lunatic, idiot, mentally retarded, deceased, wards of court and such other persons may be represented through a Representative Assessee.
In such cases, in the application for PAN, details of the a minor, lunatic, idiot, mentally retarded, deceased, wards of court, etc. should be provided. Details of representative assessee have to be provided in item 14 of the application for PAN.
- Is it compulsory to quote PAN on 'return of income' ?
Yes, it is compulsory to quote PAN on return of income.
- Do I need to apply for a new PAN when I move from one city to another?
Permanent Account Number (PAN), as the name suggests, is a permanent number and does not change.
Changing the address though, may change the Assessing Officer at pan card office. Such changes must, therefore, be intimated to ITD so that the PAN database of ITD can be updated. One can intimate change in address by filling up the form for Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or Correction in PAN data. This form can be submitted at any TIN-FC or online at NSDL-TIN website.
- Can I obtain or use more than one PAN?
Obtaining/possessing more than one PAN is against the law and may attract a penalty upto Rs.10000. Therefore it is advisable not to obtain/possess more than one PAN. If you have more than one PAN, you should surrender the unused PAN by logging into ITD website at www.incometaxindia.gov.in.
- I have been allotted more than one PAN, what is the procedure for cancellation of other PAN(s)?
You have to mention the PAN which you are using currently on top of the application form. All other PAN/s inadvertently allotted to you should be mentioned at item no. 10 and the corresponding PAN card(s) should be submitted for cancellation along with the form.
- What is the procedure for applicants who cannot sign?
In such cases, Left Hand Thumb Impression (preferably in black ink) of the applicant should be taken on Form 49A/change at the place meant for signature. This should be attested by a Magistrate or a Notary Public or a Gazetted Officer, under official seal and stamp.